Saturday, March 28, 2015

What's Up Doc?

Doctors sometimes make mistakes. But most times, they are very right. My family doctor was one of those that had made a mistake. I had cat scan at a local hospital and they had found a large cyst on my right ovary. So on my next Dr's visit, a month or so later, I mentioned it to him, and he didn't seem concerned. I mentioned it on the next visit and the visit after and again, he wasn't concerned. But because I was having extreme lower back pain for the last two months, literally bedridden, he sent me to a Urologist to check for kidney stones. So they did another cat scan and late in the afternoon, the urologist called me. She told me that yes, I did have kidney stones but that was not causing my pain. She told me she could take the kidney stones out, but again, it wasn't going to stop the pain. Her tone was so serious that I had even mentioned it to my oldest son. She advised me to go back to my regular physician for tests and she would send the report. So, I did and my family Dr sat down, looked at the report and referred me to a gynecologist, not really telling me anything. Then he told me he would be gone for two weeks and walked out of the room. I met the woman who would become my gynecologistand I liked her instantly. She did pelvic ultrasound and an MRI. And she explained all to me; the test procedures, why I needed surgery, what would be done during surgery. . I had surgery three days later and the surgery did not go as exactly as planned. Supposedly, the surgery was going to take an hour or two at most. It turned out, it took five hours and as the as the gynecologist explained to me, I had a lot of scar tissue from an emergency appendectomy years ago. And that was a very difficult surgery because all of my organs were encased in it. And she told me that again, the tumor had to come out, it was five centimeters and explained that had I waited much longer, it would have become cancerous. She had taken my ovaries and fallopian tubes as well (we had discussed it before hand and I was fine with it or so I thought). It took me more than a few weeks to recover, both emotionally and physically and I still have hard days sometimes. I am so eternally grateful that this gynecologist treated me. She was honest and forthright but also very kind. She listened and heard your concerns and addressed them. And she saved my life. This is when doctors are right, when they find the answers and heal you.
Love and Light to you all, Ladiofzen

No comments:

Post a Comment